May 24, 2014

How I order coffee

My first semester in college I had an 8am class clear on the other side of campus, I mean a 10 minute walk and then 3 flights of stairs. Needless to say I was not once on time. One particularly bad morning I was walking to class, for my 8am midterm, at around 8:35. I stopped in at my usual coffee spot on the way with my usual older coffee lady.

Me: (Apparently speaking in what I assume was poor German for no apparent reason other than tired.) Ich möchte eine tasse kaffe bitte. (German for: I would like a cup of coffee please)

Coffee Lady: Eine große oder kleine? (German for: Large or small?)

Me: (very much confused) Did I ask for coffee in German?

Coffee Lady: Yes.

Me: Oh. Uh, große, bitte. (German: A large cup please) 

Coffee Lady: Coffee's on me. You're going to miss your test.

(I run to class.)
My wonderful Helga with her grandbaby. I don't know who is more adorable.
As it turns out she is from Germany and was just as surprised as I was that I ordered in German!!
After my midterm I came back and chatted with her and we have been friends ever since! And she's bought more than a few cups of Joe for me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear, trustNjesus...
NOT whorizontal, pathological, psychotic Hillary.
And I'll see you Upstairs.